Sunday, August 29, 2004

A good run, and a good gig...

Saturday, 28 Aug:
Hmmm.. couldn't wake up for nuts to go and run early, man. One of the pitfalls of a musician's life, is that a lot of the time we always end up home very late.. or "early" (in the morning), for that matter. That's fine if you're the typical musician... but apparently, I'm not. I'm the left wing guy.. the vegetarian.. the health freak.. the running freak.. the very anti-thesis of what a typical musician is like or perceived to be! Oh well.. such is life. I like it like that.. except that I still couldn't wake up early to go and run. So I just went about my day on a simple note, check mail, watch some tv, etc. You'd be surprised how time passes by really quickly when you're doing just that.

Come 6pm, I went out to run. It was either that or the couch. And I tell ya, both are very tempting, in its own way! Scary, but I suppose it's a good time in the evening to do that. It's probably a semi-long run, about 7km (yeah, I know... to some it's not THAT long a run). But it's partially flat, partially hills, so that made it a little more interesting. Tried to take a fairly comfortable pace, nothing too all out at all. Feels good to run..

Came back, got ready to go to Alexis Ampang. Got a gig with Suflan, a pianist. Suflan's actually a lawyer in the day (works in Shell), and musician by night.. BELIEVE IT OR NOT! But he's pretty good, for a part-timer. He loves playing swing jazz and standards. The rhythm section for the night was David "Ah Wah" Yee on bass, and the incorrigible and inimitable (lol!) Lewis Pragasam on drums. With a rhythm section like that, let's just say I had a jolly good time. I love playing swing, bebop, mainstream jazz, and with these guys, I felt comfortable playing it! And the guest singer for the night was Sharizan! We did standards like Come Fly With Me, Have You Met Miss Jones, I've Got You Under My Skin, and a whole lot of other standard tunes (a lot from the Sinatra songbook). It was pretty fun..

If y'all have the chance, do catch this guy play some time or the other. Oh well... now as I type this.. I'm wondering.. I don't think I can wake up early to do my really long run in the morning. Sigh...

PS: Can't wait for the Men's Marathon event at the Olympics, tomorrow evening! Woo hoo...

No comments: