Tuesday, January 11, 2005

My new "wife".. my new horn!

Well, it's slightly old news... but I got my new horn. My new saxophone, that is. It's an alto sax.. a Selmer Super Action 80 Series II, black lacquered. I got it about over two weeks ago just before New Year, but I had it sent to my sax tech for readjustments first, so that it be in a playable condition. That took a week, and I got it in my hands after that. Feels good, sounds DAMN good, too. PRICE also damn good.. won't say it here. If you wanna know, you can ask me personally.

Well, I decided to get it, because it was pretty much about time for me to. I've had my old alto horn (a Yanagisawa A-901) for about 4 years, since I came back from my accounting studies in Perth, Australia. I've used it to practice and work my way into the music scene, and it has served me well. But the A-901 was a low-end professional horn. It may have fulfilled my needs the past four years. But now, the need to get a better sound on the saxophone has surpassed what this horn could provide. For the sax-savvy, the A-901 was a "light" horn. The brass was well made, but made light, where it has more overtones, so it tends towards a bright sound. What I want is a warmer, darker tone.. edgy, but with a fat "bottom end". In other words, I need a "heavier" horn. After considering AND searching for a long time, I finally found this horn (by chance, actually). My usual sax supplier has had this horn for at least over a year or so now. And it only occured to me after my trip to Bangkok. So I decided to try it out, and I fell in love with it. And after thinking about it for almost a week, I decided to buy it... a real good investment!

My first gig with this horn, oddly enough, was that gig two days ago at Rossini's, Ritz Carlton.. where I also met our Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Badawi and Datin Seri Endon. What a way to anoint a new horn! EHehehhee... cool, eh?

And the second gig was yesterday night at Planet Hollywood, with Ning Baizura. The sound engineer was also quite surprised with the sound that I got out of that new horn. Very good investment indeed. Money well-spent!!



Selmer Super Action 80 Series II black lacquer - ain't she a beauty?? Posted by Hello

Why I chose black lacquer??? Well, that was the only horn the supplier had.. and I LOVE black lacquer. Sleek.. I love black. To quote
USAHorn, ".. a real attention grabber. Blackbird singing in the dead of night... ".

Hmmm.. I'm like a kid with a new toy... and that I am!

No comments: